The Director, Product Design is responsible for defining an overall User Experience for Company products that meets the company’s brand strategy, and revenue goals and will ensure consistency in execution across platforms. She/he will lead a team who will be the voice of the customer, ensuring products meet their needs. She/he will partner with product managers and customers to understand requirements, write design specifications, perform usability testing and follow features through software development and QA to ensure the design is correctly implemented.
Core WSI Attributes:
- Talent Committed
- Customer Focused
- Action Oriented
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, direction and development opportunities for the user experience team.
- Develop and articulate a Vision for User Experience that aligns with short term and long term business objectives.
- Work with Product Management, to develop product strategies and a roadmap to meet those objectives.
- Prioritize, define and lead design activities.
- Oversee the UI team in designing easy-to-understand interfaces through wireframe mockups, storyboards, and/or prototypes (paper and/or online) that align with company branding.
- Review all product specifications to ensure compliance with design requirements and relevant industry standards and best practices.
- Write clear and detailed UI specifications, usability testing documents and other internal documentation as needed.
- Work closely with development team on implementation issues and resolve all questions of software behavior.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure optimal product performance.
- Work closely with project manager to ensure timelines are met.
- Research new technologies and User Interface concepts and incorporate new methods.
- Design, Concept and Render WSI weather demonstration animations as part of the conceptualization process.
- Design, deliver and analyze usability testing for new functionality prior to release.
- Participate in the QA process to ensure functional alignment with specifications.
- Will be responsible for embedding design processes into the product development life cycle. Will identify and recommend process improvements.
- Other duties, responsibilities and development opportunities as deemed appropriate by your supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters preferred, in human factors, user intraction design, information design or a related field.
- 10+ years experience as an interaction designer or user interface designer.
- Experience managing a team of designers of all levels.
- Availability to travel up to 20%
- Must have a strong aesthetic sense and intuitive understanding of what makes a truly great interactive experience
- Proven understanding and involvement in business strategy
- Experience designing interactive applications for Windows, Web and mobile platforms.
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop influential partner relationships
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate a significant number of projects.
- Very detail-oriented and organized
- Excellent and effective communication skills (verbal, written, and listening). This includes an ability to respectfully listen and consider input from colleagues.
- Motivated, organized and self-directed
- Ability to work within a team, to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
- Experience working in a matrix/agile environment preferred
- Graphics design and web design experience preferred
- Experience in applications such as Fireworks, Adobe AfterEffects, Photoshop, and Illustrator or 3D applications such as 3D Studio Max or Maya a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or keyboard; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and talk or hear. The employee must be able to see differences in widths and lengths of lines such as those on graphs and be able to read, write and interpret written documents.
Work Environment: Employee will work in a typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues.
Qualified candidates may apply directly to Job ID 2498 on the careers page of weather.com
WSI is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.