Title: Senior User Experience Designer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Mike Convey; Director, Product Design
Department: 2230 Media Product Marketing
Location: Andover, MA
Description: The Senior User Experience Designer is part of a multi-disciplinary team of user experience designers, visual designers and product managers committed to developing innovative, easy-to-use, best-of-breed next-generation weather applications.
Core WSI Attributes:
- Talent Committed
- Customer Focused
- Action Oriented
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and iterate user interaction concepts through wireframe mockups, storyboards, and/or prototypes (paper and/or online).
- Design user interface details, including creating wireframe mockups and writing detailed user interaction functional specifications for new functionality and behaviors. Maintain and update design specifications during development.
- Track progress and work with Designers and Product Managers to resolve design challenges.
- Work with development, product managers, marketing, and customers to evaluate, prioritize and clarify requirements and future enhancements.
- Work closely with development on implementation issues and resolve all questions of software behavior.
- Evaluate, identify and implement relevant industry standards, best practices into WSI products and the development process.
- Will take a leadership role in usability testing/user research activities and establishing and evangelizing user interface guidelines and design patterns.
- Review all product specifications to ensure compliance with design requirements and relevant industry standards and best practices.
- Write clear and detailed UI specifications, usability testing documents and other internal documentation as needed.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure optimal product performance.
- Work closely with project manager to ensure timelines are met.
- Design, Concept and Render WSI weather demonstration animations as part of the conceptualization process.
- Design, deliver and analyze usability testing for new functionality prior to release
- Participate in the QA process to ensure functional alignment with specifications.
- Embed design processes into the product development life cycle.
- Identify and recommend process improvements.
- Mentor and provide direction to junior designers.
- Other duties, responsibilities and development opportunities as deemed appropriate by your supervisor.
- 7+ years of experience as an interaction designer or user interface designer.
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred, in Human Factors, User Interaction Design, Information Design, or a related discipline.
- Experience designing interactive applications for Windows, Web and mobile platforms.
- Experience in user research including formal usability testing.
- Experience creating wireframe mockups using Visio or similar products.
- Experience in developing User Models and application designs from initial concept to product release.
- Experience with all flavors of user-centered design methodologies and processes including:
Development of customer use cases and extraction of requirements.
Diagramming of business processes and interaction flows.
Design and implementation of usability studies.
- Must have a strong aesthetic sense and intuitive understanding of what makes a truly great interactive experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop influential partner relationships.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate a significant number of projects.
- Very detail-oriented and organized.
- Excellent and effective communication skills (verbal, written, and listening).
- Ability to work within a team, to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Experience working in a matrix/agile environment preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or keyboard; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and talk or hear. The employee must be able to see differences in widths and lengths of lines such as those on graphs and be able to read, write and interpret written documents.
Work Environment: Employee will work in a typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues.
Qualified candidates may apply directly on the careers page of weather.com
WSI is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.